From the Commanding Officer,
On behalf of the men and women who serve and work at Naval Air Facility El Centro, I invite you to our annual Festival of Flight. It is our honor and privilege to host this free event, which features a variety of military and civilian flight performances that represent the flying we do here at the Pearl of the Desert and are sure to thrill any aviation enthusiast. The flight line will also feature static displays of past and present aircraft, a car show, vendors with concessions and air show memorabilia, and plenty of activities for families to enjoy. Explore the flight line and its many attractions, or just sit back and enjoy the show.
This year’s Festival is once again being conducted while the nation, the Navy and the Imperial Valley are still experiencing impacts due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Although we are striving to return to normal, we must still take some precautions to protect ourselves even while attending outdoor events. Therefore I request each of our attendees to:
- Get your vaccine and when appropriate, your booster shot.
- A COVID test within 72 hours of the event is recommended for everyone, and very strongly encouraged for those who have chosen not to receive the vaccine. Please do not attend if that test is positive.
- When aboard, please use the entire viewing area to space out and avoid large clusters of closely spaced people with whom you do not normally interact.
- Please make use of our sanitization stations located near food vendors and bathroom facilities.
- Please wear your mask indoors while aboard the base. Outdoors is optional, but strongly recommended. If you need an additional mask, we have some available near the airfield entrances.
We are privileged to have called El Centro and the Imperial Valley home for over 75 years, and we are immensely proud of the superb relationship we share with the surrounding communities in the Imperial Valley. While the great flying weather in El Centro plays a crucial role in the training we conduct, it is the outstanding support of the entire Imperial Valley community that is the real key to our continued success. It is your patriotic support, patient understanding, and hospitality that enable us to "train like we fight,” and the Festival is one small way to thank you for your unwavering support of the base and our personnel.
Spectacular flying, static displays, souvenirs and concessions – there is no better way to spend a day with family and friends, and we truly hope you join us to enjoy the 2022 NAF El Centro Festival of Flight!
CAPT. William A. Perkins, USN
Naval Air Facility, El Centro